Sunday, March 6, 2011

Congo lines, Germany and stomach bugs

So last Saturday night, I attended another Fasching ball which was hectic! Basically all the Faschings groups attended this ball since we all went to the same parade! It was hectic as it was so strange seeing Elvis reunite us again in the living dancing in a congo line which had the ABBA group, some builders and cha cha girls! Haha. But I'm still not use to their culture of excessive drinking and smoking though and I find myself in shock at times at how hard they can party! I noticed that they are also really into congo lines! Haha and I kept finding myself joining them! I didn't go home until 2.30 that night and I left when there was still heaps of people there!

Next day, I visited a small town in Germany with my Dietzmar and Maurice since Sabine fell sick. I forgot the town's name but I had an awesome time there! We visited Marie-Sophie's Godparents! They own a shop which sells some type of sauce? I'm not too sure since Maurice didn't explain it. And they live on the third level of a house which is 500 years old and renovated inside so it looks so funky and cool! We had this traditional German stew kind of thing which had pork leg, parsnips, potatoes and carrots and tasted oh my goodness GREAT! Then later that day we watched the German Fasching parade which is more traditional.

Here are some photos to show but it never seems to capture the same feeling of actually being there!




The view from the house!

Just a bit further on is the Lake Constance!

The castle upstairs!








Yes there was a PIKACHU. I simply had to take some photos for all you pokemon fans out there!



Oh yea there was a witch kind of themes so that's why there's heaps of witches in my photos!


The stork thing in the background is a stork man? It's a cultural thing especially for this town since it comes from back in the days in where there was a great plague. People couldn't come down to get their food since there was a danger of receiving the disease itself. So there was a storkman who would throw food to the people through their windows. And from then on it kind of became the town's own mascot.
















The three ropes that help pull up the gigantic tree which is several metres long! Note that these windows are on the 4th floor





 The wreath around it has presents tied to it where the children can climb the tree and get the bags themselves
 The guy who climbed the tree with these cool razor things on his shoes to untie the ropes!


 They were renovating the 'new' castle!

The 'old' castle, which I will visit in the summer!




Unfortunately, I got sick on Monday night from the same stomach bug that Sabine had gotten on the weekend. So I spent Tuesday and Wednesday at home recovering from a night's worth of vomitting. I didn't eat properly until Wednesday since my stomach wasn't feeling very well. I missed my first lesson of piano because of it! :(

Then on Thursday and Friday spent the days doing Faschings! I got my own pair of fake eyelashes to complete the intense makeup and attended more balls! On Thursday there was a huge thing during the day! That was the day when the Fasching prince took over the major's job for the day! We visited the Parliament equivalent of Bregenz! To celebrate that the Fasching prince took over, the major went from the balcony to inside an ACTUAL submarine through sliding down a rope! And then drove it close to the lake. I thought for a minute that they were actually going to put it inside the Lake but was disappointed! :( It was pretty awesome though hell freezing! On both days we visited different retirement homes and hospitals to perform for them!



The princesses' crown!

We visited someone else's house in the morning at first. I don't know why since I just followed our bus people. And there were other people there dressed up with the pink panther theme!




This is us at the retirement home!





 At the hospital!




All the children's thanks stuck on the wall!


Most of the children were asleep so we didn't stay for very long. So this is what we did while waiting for the prince and the princess to visit everyone individually! Haha!

ORE ORE! This is what everyone says to each other during Faschings!


This is what Steffani and I did for a while. Everyone helped prepare the children's bag for Monday! So Steffani and I cut ribbon and placed the badges on it. We were meant to do 500 and did a number of them! In each bag for the children contains the badge neckalace then another necklace thing which has 3 swaoski crystals on it, a empty beer bottle with a message from the Fasching prince and princess, orange juice and some other things! And this is for 500 children. Excatly.... lots of money and timeeeee...


 Anyways that's it for now! I'll talk soon!

With love, from Austria

Vivian

2 comments:

  1. just a quick comment before i rush off -

    When does this faschings thing end out of curiosity?? it seems all you do is PARTY in Austria :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much culture (in other words, party) in Austria! I love it haha :) Since your colour scheme is blue/green like the sea, can you dress up as a whale next time?

    Haven't been commenting on the past entries but I am reading them! Glad to know you're better now - take care of yourself :D

    ReplyDelete