Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Morocco Day 3: Fes, Fabrics and Leather

Okay, sorry guys about the late updates and everything, just wasn't sure who was still reading them! Haha! And in addition, sorry but none of my photos are in order... I'm not sure why... since I uploaded them all at the same time but hopefully you can find out which ones I'm referring to... though the photos on the same page are usually from the same day.

So on Day 3 we left quite early to catch a train to Fes. So Fes is the oldest kingdom city in Morocco with the main colour of yellow! It took around 4 hours to get there so there I caught up with my sleep! When we finally got there, we walked to the markets, yet again, only to stop in a nice cafe/restaurant. There was a small lake nearby and it cooled us down a lot. We finally tried the traditional Moroccan food of Tajins! And i loved the dessert! I know it sounds strange, but the oranges with sugar and cinnamon on it tastes absolutely DELICIOUS!

We walked by the King's garden which showed another side to Morocco which was obviously closed off. But the difference between the gate, from one side to another, was huge!

Once we entered into the markets, it was just chaotic! You think Rabat is busy, but because Fes is the most traditional city, the streets are literally tiny. And every now and then there would be a line of donkeys which carried heaps of products walking up and down. You would be amazed at the strengths of donkeys here!

Fes is also the city which produces all the leather so that day, both Sabine and I's sense of smell and sight just went NUTS! The strong smell of leather and spices, plus the dust that rose and appeared out of nowhere just attacked us! My eyes kept watering and my nose kept running the whole day! So the both of us had to keep taking allergy pills.. so technically we were on drugs. Haha!

We split into two groups, so it was Wolf, the Lenz Familie and I, and we searched for place to see the leather works. And omg, when we found it... it was just simply amazing, you have no idea. All the pictures of the leather places was right there in front of me! First there's the waterway in which they wash skins. So you can guess that it's not exactly clean! Then they soak the skins in the white bath things for a couple of days which contains a substance which allows the fur to fall of easily. Then another 5 days in the muddy/brown tubs to wash and clean! And then FINALLY the last tubs to dye into the individual colours for about a week. To dry the skins/leather they must dry them out and it depends on the weather. After that, they ship them to individual artisans to decorate the leather. Apparently, all the workers in the leather industry worked individual however a couple of hundred years ago, they decided to work together and so the leather industry formed. :D I warn you though, it really stank...

Through walking in the markets, we could also visit the library but only from outside. Though it was quite large and the decorations were beautiful! We didn't have much time to get back and missing out on a long walk back (plus it was boiling) we took a 'taxi' back which cost 40 Dehrims (cannot spell their currency) which is equivalent to about 4 dollars. And this was for a 10 minute ride back!

We had a snack back at the place in the train station which had AIR CONDITIONING and felt great, before we went on our long trip back home.

We met back with Barbara, which she took us to a really nice restaurant. Everyone there tried different Tajins, both sweet and savoury. I have to admit though, the most interesting part of that evening was when Barbara ordered a Tajin which had sheep's brain in it. Everyone tried it at first until it was left that only Maurice and I hadn't tried it yet. Both of us were shocked but he bravely took a piece and started to call me a wuss. (Isn't he nice?) To be honest, it was more of a mental thing that made me hesitate to try it out! Since the last time I saw a sheep's brain was mashed up between the fingers of Quinlan and Jacky in a Biology experiment! However, eventually I had the guts to try it... which was interesting. It felt like the yoke of an egg but boiled. So it was soft and squishy. Lol, what you properly expect from a brain!

And then we all went to bed for a nice long sleep since the next day was a relaxing day! :D

Anyways, got to go,
with love, from Austria

Vivian

1 comment:

  1. I'm reading them! I start with a M and end in an a or y depending on what you could call me and I'm not a stalker and I'm doing that thing which I usually do where I randomly pop in and out of your life during the year.

    Making sure our connection stays mildly strong! Man I hope I'm not looking like a random creep.

    ReplyDelete