Friday, January 28, 2011

Carnival, costumes and masks

Okay! So last night, I went to the dress rehearsal for the carnival and it was EPIC! Basically carnival is this time period which goes on for a couple of weeks. It's a cultural tradition where in each city there is a 'prince' shall I say who has his own royal family and train of people, plus  a military guard and band. Having or being the prince is a great honour however it is really expensive. As they pay for all the costumes and the donuts when there is a free donut day, little bags of goodies for all the children in the schools (I think), when there's a parade he chucks lollies out to the children on the streets, drinks and food for his train and there's more I think. But yes, usually it's a great honour but with a VERY high cost to it, hence that's why one of our rotarians . And what happens is like every now and then in the weeks of Carnival season, they attend balls, which are like special functions and we are kind of like entertainers? I'm not 100% sure but we do a special dance and everything and the prince explains the importance of this cultural thing, though everyone knows it, it's called Fasching


But anyways, for dress rehearsal I went to this theater place in Bregenz with Tyler which is absolutely amazing and beautiful. It's called Festspielhaus, I think. And actually it was shown in the movie, Quantam of Solace, where James Bond enter this massive theatre where it shows this opera or something with the huge eye? Yes it's that place. And yes it was in Bregenz. I flipped when Tyler told me and I'll take some photos tonight about it. But yea it's pretty amazing inside. We're not going to be inside the exact place where the James Bond movie was located but at a smaller one but still huge. It's not so much a theatre but more for function centres where people eat and stuff. Anyways, Emily and Steffani (another exchange student from America) was also involved, though Steffani can't make the ball tonight so I'm borrowing her costume. But basically we just walk up with the train and some of them have a specific dance to do. The theme of it this year is Neptune, the Greek god of the sea? So yes my costume is all blue. Here are some photos of the place. And the ball's theme is masquerade. The decorations look EPIC. 






 The stage we go on
 Free drinks for us tonight


 The caps we have to wear. And that's JUST the caps...
 As you can see, people smoking here isnt a big deal. But that fake cigarette is HUGE.
 Emily, Steffani and Tyler
 Us on stage.
 OMG! I'm an avatar!
 Tyler being an evil villian
 BLUE BLUE BLUE!
 Yes, that's it. The costume is like pretty bad. Maurice tried it on jsut then for fun so you can see. This is without the makeup which includes something like spraying painting my face or something. I'll take photos tonight for sure. But here's just a preview. And I swear I didnt make him wear it on purpose. You can see he's so proud by his poses. LOL







 The hats which are individualised.
 And that's just him posing with an Australian flag.


Anyways, tell you more about the Carnival soon,


with love, from Austria


Vivian

3 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA MAURICE LOOOOOOOOL. THE BLUE LOOKS SUPER GOOD ON JUSTIN BEIBER ROFLMAO.

    ANYWAY I am (once again) jealous that you get to take part in all these amazing cultural events. FREE DONUTS! FREE DRINKS! Somewhere Jabooze is crying in envy. Can't wait for your post after the carnival ball.

    LOL have to laugh at Maurice again. HAHAHAHA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You're life is soooooo classy now. I'm so jealous. (i'm not ashamed to say that i want to be a Prince now :P)

    LOL love the costume. OMG Free Drinks? WHAT? Janelle's on her way over - what???

    And tell Beebs he's AWESOME. :)

    That is all

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! vivian your blog is so cool! I love all the photos. It sounds soooooooooo exciting for you, fancy food and all. And a new school and wow!

    Please keep detailing EVERYTHING you do! it's really interesting! You're making me consider do something like this in the future!

    love ant

    ReplyDelete