Saturday, January 22, 2011

Planes, snow and bathrooms

I'm HERE (in Austria), finally! What can I say? Saying it was one thing, but being here is another. And no, it does not look like the scenes from Sound of Music, well at least  not yet. 


To begin, it was wonderful having a couple of friends over to say farewell to me, and I can't believe you guys made the effort! It started off talking about the randomest things... like always, but it was the best. Thanks to Alice, Frances, Jen, Nirosh, Janelle, Helen, Peiting, Ryan and Jamie for coming! The surprise party was great, but being bothered to come see me off made me feel warm inside. Sorry no photos from me, since I think someone else took them! 


When arriving at the airport, I think it sort of hit me then, that I was really going. Kat joined us and we had a laugh with Mateus and Eric. Saying goodbye was hard, but it was never easy to begin with. 


Flights suck, as they always do and this one was no exception. Though it was fun hanging with other exchange students, the air of the plane still makes my head spin. I had a window seat and the guy next to me decided to move to another window seat to take pictures. I swear to my life, that it wasn't my fault and he was really nice about it too! The second flight was more fun sitting with Kendall and Nicole though we spent most of it sleeping or well at least attempting to. Haha. 


The cold hit us as we exited the planes and felt the cold breeze from the tunnel thing as we left the plane onto the boarding thingies. Yes my vocab suck. Then FINALLY i arrived and was greeted by my host family, well my parents. They brought me to a small cafe in the airport. I had an interesting experience with tea here, since I didnt drink coffee, I asked for milk tea. And goodness, they literally gave me milk tea. The waiter? gave me hot water mixed with tea in a cup and then gave me a separate . I tried not to act surprise, but sure things are different here! 


Then we started the trip home by car, from Zurich to Wolfurt. Seeing Christmas trees with actual snow was beautiful and made me think of all the photographers at home who would have loved to take photos of the scenery, but I just sat and watched. While texting my parents at home, saying I arrived safely, I started to cry. I think the idea of not seeing everyone hit me and made me miss home just a bit. 


I arrived at 'home' :D And it's so modern, it's sweet, quaint and CUTE! I really love it. I didnt take any photos btw from before because I looked horrible with my glasses and sleep deprived face. 


Okay the bathroom incident. I needed to go to the toliet, so obviously I went to the bathroom. I obviously locked the door, but when i finished... i couldnt unlock it. Dont laugh, but it was so frustrating for me! I think since they could hear the sounds of me trying to turn the handle, they found to their amusement that I, within 10 minutes of entering the hosue, was locked inside the bathroom. After much laughter, to my embarassemnet, I was FREE!! Success... or not. Haha! We had breakfast and talked and I was happy to find that they played Settlers and Cannannn or however you spell it too! Though I'm a noob. 


I finally finished unpacking and looked at the snow outside my room and took a shower! The host mum and I had fun sticking post-its around the house for words in german for different things. And now I'm writing this blog. Yes I'm captain obvious. Going now, to watch ski jumping with host brother! TTYL 






with love, from Austria,


Vivian

7 comments:

  1. HAHAHAHAHAHA (bathroom) but it sounds like fun and your host mother sounds super nice! I am super jealous of the snow :(

    Anyway update often please so I can pretend I'm in Austria trololol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE IT! YAYAYAYAY

    ok now to comment on the content itself - lol, well done: your host family probably think you're retarded or something already - jokes they sound nice.

    hmmm what've you learnt in german so far? i expect part of the next post to be in german. And take more photos woman!!! also, still on the prowl for a whale soft toy to be our Vivian proxy in all our photos and stuff.

    as with Franci, update often so i can pretend.

    LOVE ALWAYS

    ReplyDelete
  3. MORE PHOTOS VIVI (: AND MORE ENTRIES.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You started a blog! HUZZAH! Wilkommen in... the blogging community... Look forward to reading your words and stuff :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm not going to lie, i'm p. jelly, and i wish i had taken a gap year to go on exchange :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a hilarious and amazing start - have a ball you lovely thing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi vivian so glad you made it there safely! look forward to reading more entries. take care xo :)

    ReplyDelete