Thursday, January 27, 2011

Seagulls, shopping and soup

On Tuesday, I went to the Rotary meeting after school in a nice restaurant which is apparently, the most expensive restaurant in Bregenz. It was really nice and I was lucky enough to be able to sit next to Emily (another rotary exchange student from Canada) since it's my first time. Most of the Rotarians there were apparently high-class and lawyers and etc. I didn't understand most of the speeches since it's all German. I also wanted to take photos of the food since it was, as Darren would say, osgasmic! Haha! However, i didnt think I would look too good to the Rotarians if I just brought out my camera and started taking photos of the food. Anyways, I also got invited to participate in the Carnival parade get-ups to go to some balls dressed up, to be part of his royal chain as he is the Bregenz 'Prince'. I'm not too sure what that means but it looks pretty cool!

Anyways afterwards, Tyler (another exchange rotary student from America), Emily and I walked to the Lake of Constance, which I showed before is absolutely HUGE! We were near the wharf and tried to feed the swans, ducks and seagulls with leftover bread from my sandwich. However, there wasn't much bread left, but omgosh the seagulls are CRAZY. They literally attack you for the food and hover in front of you when you're about to throw the food. We fed the swan (or tried to) bits of my banana and even my banana peel! However, seconds before the seagulls would attack them for it! :( We walked further on and a little train of swans and ducks followed Emily. We even tried to feed the swans pepsis.LOL










It was fun that day, but oh so tiring. Haha we had a good laugh at the attack of the seagulls. Emily came over for a while afterwards to chat about the coming year and it was good.

Yesterday after school.. i went SHOPPING! Tini brought me to Dornbirn which is the next city, so we had to catch a train and then another bus to MACDONALDS! Yes I visited the good old fast food chain and loved how it was so familiar! Even there they have more strict rules regarding recycling. And oh! The workers at Macdonalds have like an epic uniform with a jacket and everything and even the JEANS they wear had an M knitted on the back pockets which usually is done by the brand! HAHA!

I went shopping at the mall at Messepark and H&M! I bought a knitwear and a shirt, Janelle would have loved all the knitwear available there, since she's so obessed with knitwear recently. Haha! Everything was relative okay price. Sometimes when I went walking around I would get a bit sentimental since I always relied on shopping with either Mum and sometimes Janelle so I got a bit teary there.

It was even harder on the bus, so I sobbed for a while, wanting to go home at some stages, but I eventually stopped and picked a happier song to listen to. Yesterday was good fun as Sabine and I helped Maurice contact the signs that he was going to bring to the ski-jumping races. We had a good laugh as we kept teasing each other saying that he was a joke or what not. It helped the homesickness a lot!

Today, school finished earlier at like 11.45, but during school Tyler, Camilla (another exchange studnet from Mexico but not with rotary) had a good chat with me and attempted to teach me some introductory german.

Very basic though:

Hallo
Mein name ist Vivian Lee.
Ich bin achtzehn jahre alt.
Ich komme aus Australien.
Ich wohne in Wolfurt.

Haha, my pronounciation is so bad as I cannot roll my tongue and their vowels are very different.

Later on, on the way home, I took some photos to show you where I walk from the bus stop.










 This is where I live!

A few seconds after I took this photo, the neighbour two doors down asked me over for lunch in 15 minutes so I agreed obviously. And that's why guys I went busy for a while on msn. Sorry. It was really  nice of her and I got to eat lunch with the two daughters and their grandmum. We had soup and this potato egg pancakes with sourcream and herbs as a sauce. I got to see the violin which is ancient. LITERALLY! She told me the story behind it. She's german and back then she lived on the West side of germany while her dad was from the east side. Back then Germany was split in into two, (Frances and Nirosh maybe you know the history of this even though it's not ancient history). Well when she visited her dad's side, they wanted to give her the violin as a present but it was not allowed to cross the border back then. For many years, they attempted to sneak it under the car back seat but was considered too dangerous. It was only after 10 years, when there was peace between both sides was she able to finally receive. So the violin has always been a good memory to her. So I restrung the violin and helped tuned it since it hasnt been touched for a couple of years! There was no shoulder rest and so it was hard for me to play. It's over a 100 years old and sure LOOKS LIKE IT! It's really old and you can tell but the chips in it but it's got a really nice sound to it.

I was also able to play some piano there with music as she recently started to learn it! I also made a bracelet with the older daughter with her beads and gave her the bracelet. It was good fun.

While in the process of typing this, Maurice provided his own commentary and said 'I think Jacky Chan is a chinese restaurant. He looks like a chinese restaurant. I think he looks like chicken wings'

Sigh, brothers. We also had a viist from the cat that wonders around in the neighbourhood! I also took photos of my house inside. Plus he really hates it when I call him justin beiber.

 He made me do it.

 Dining room
 Yes! They had settler of Catan.. in german.


This evening I will go to the dress rehearsal for the Carnival! TTYL,

With love, from Austria,

Vivian

7 comments:

  1. Fifi! I'm glad your German is coming along - it isn't too strange, is it? =p

    And your photos are AMAZING!
    And it's good to see you're still your Asian self taking luvos. =d

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOLY SHIT HE DOES LOOK LIKE JUSTIN BIEBER LOOOOL. I hope one day you can force him to sing Baby, or something equally ridiculous.

    You should get your host family addicted to Pictionary/Charades haha.

    And omg I love that violin story :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely story about the violin. All that history in Europe. <3

    It looks like everyday will be an adventure for you (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. photography is beautiful!

    and austrian maccas sounds AWESOME; i want to work there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LEARN GRAMMAR PLEASE!!!! (like english grammar i mean) - JOKES heart shape, forgiven :) :) :)

    Also love this bit - Yesterday after school.. i went SHOPPING!

    Hold on, read the next one later since i'm at Ian's house now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. VIVIAN PLEASE GO LEARN GERMAN LOL

    and you finally know what it feels like to have a sibling hahaha isnt it fun? :P

    when you come back i hope you look all european and that hehe

    miss you xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. that lil dude with the cute blonde fringe...HE'S SO ADORABLE
    i srsly wished i went on an exchange now...so many things ive learnt about austria just from reading your blog! u are amazingg!! <3

    ReplyDelete